Computing and Other Facilities
We have four newly refurbished, student computing laboratories in the department. All the labs are air-conditioned. Software, which runs on a range of platforms including Unix, Windows and Linux includes:
- programming languages/environments: C++, C#, C, Java (J2SE, J2EE), ANSI-C, ANSI-C++, AspectJ, Jakarta Tomcat, Glider, Eclipse, Poseidon, BlueJ, WebMatrix, Netbeans, Python, Ruby, Groovy ...
- software design/development: IBM Rational Rose (C++, Java, Visual Studio), VS.NET
- modelling environments: Matlab, Image Precessing Toolbox, Fuzzy Logic Toolbox, StarLogo, Protege,
- database management systems: Oracle, SQLserver, MySQL, DB2, Postgres, SQLplus
- data mining: SPSS Clementine, SQLserver
- web content development: Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, Perl, PHP, GIMP
- XML development: XMLSpy, xt, xmlgrep, oxygen
- X/Unix: Hummingbird, Cygwin bash, Putty, Hummingbird Secure Shell
- office tools: Microsoft Office, Open Office, Visio, LaTeX (MikTeX), TextPad, GhostScript/GSview
- virtual learning environment: Blackboard, Moodle, WebCT
- browsers: Firefox, Firefox svg, Opera, IE, Chrome
- email: Thunderbird, OutlookExpress, webmail
- logic circuit design: Digital Works
The local area network is a switched gigabit/10gigabit ethernet. The department and college computers are connected to the SuperJANET academic network via the London Metropolitan Network. Departmental computer services and networks are managed and supported by the department's Systems Group.
Computer labs are sometimes available for hire. Please contact Adam Towner for more details.