Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
The Department embraces and celebrates the differences between people, recognising the strengths and benefits of a diverse, inclusive society, workforce and student body. In the spirit of our founder George Birkbeck, we believe that education should be available to all sections of society, providing an inclusive working and learning environment for students and staff, so that all may develop to their full potential.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity in all aspects of our activities, through the development of fair and equitable procedures, academic programmes of study, courses, training and development programmes, which are consistently applied and regularly monitored. We encourage and promote an inclusive approach that treats colleagues, students and other service users with respect.
News and Current Initiatives
- New student reception 2018. As part of our Athena SWAN action plan, the department hosted on 20th September a welcome reception for women joining our programmes of study.
- Student-to-student mentoring scheme on the BSc Computing this year. The scheme engages existing students to mentor new entrants during their first term as a way to help them settle in their studies. If you would like to take part in this scheme (as either mentor or mentee), please contact Tara Orlanes-Angelopoulou.
- Tara Orlanes-Angelopoulou (Assistant School Manager) has been accepted in the Aurora leadership scheme.
- ComputingWomen@BBK Networking Event. ComputingWomen@BBK Networking Event was held on 2nd July to celebrate, attended by students and staff of the department, with a lively programme of talks, discussions and refreshments.
- A day in the life of Dr Tingting Han.