Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
The table below shows the cookies that are used on the Birkbeck Computer Science public website. On our public-facing pages we do not use any cookies that are essential for those pages to operate. You can use various tools to block those cookies if you wish, including adjusting your browser settings or using browser add-ons (such as the Privacy Dashboard Firefox Add-on).
We do not store any data relating to the personal identity of general site visitors in cookies.
We use Google Analytics to gather information concerning the way in which visitors use our web sites and the pages that they view, to help inform the future development of our sites. No personal information can be tracked in this way.
You can opt out of tailored Google ads and/or the DoubleClick cookie using the links shown at the bottom of this page.
|site cookies||wire||end of session||This cookie is set when you visit any of our pages being served from our content management system. It is used to help our server to handle your requests in the most efficient way and is deleted when you quit your browser.|
|Google Analytics||_utma||long lived||These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use Google Analytics to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.|
|_utmc||end of session|
Find out more
- About cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them
- Opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites
- Opt out of tailored Google ads
- Opt out of the DoubleClick cookie using this browser plug-in - plug-ins available for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome
- Opt out of online behavioural advertising - EU-based site
- Opt out of online behavioural advertising - US-based site