- to introduce a range of e-business models and investigate the relationship
with the bricks & mortar model. Review the historical keys to success
and failure and recent developments.
- to specify and build a commerce-enabled store/website and examine what
is needed both to develop and maintain the concept store.
- to examine appropriate strategies and technologies for creating a successful
- to consider the implications of mobility on e-business value chains.
- Task: Students specify and build an e-commerce website for a case study small business for an organisation of the students' choice.
- Business models: Integration of e-commerce business models
into a business. Business strategies. Value chain. Standards. Legal and
- Technical issues: Security. Integration. Availability, scalability
and performance. Globalisation. Operational requirements. Tools for development
and operation. Measuring performance. Mobility and location awareness.
- Business benefits: Virtual communities. Auditing. Reviewing
methods. Costs and benefits of different e-commerce services. Anytime-anywhere
- Planning an e-business: Integration with legacy systems. Database
- Introduction to Web Authoring using XHTML and CSS or equivalent
or basic XHTML and CSS web page authoring.
- 15 CATS points at Level 5 NQF