Information Management and Web Technologies Research Group
The Department is one of the leading centres for research in information and knowledge management in the U.K. The group's main research areas include:
- data mining
- design and evaluation of learning environments
- information management, integration and visualisation
- information systems development and deployment
- semantic web technologies, including XML, RDF and web services
- ubiquitous and pervasive computing
- understanding complex networks and social network analysis
- web information retrieval and search engines
- web mining
An application area of particular interest is the management, integration and analysis of life sciences data.
The group collaborates with many other research groups in the U.K. and abroad and with industry. We undertake interdisciplinary projects with research experts in education, in the life, natural and social sciences, and in the humanities. Several group members are active within the London Knowledge Lab, which aims to explore the ways in which digital technologies and new media are shaping the future of learning and knowledge, as well as the Bloomsbury Centre for Bioinformatics and the Institute for Structural Molecular Biology.