MSc in Advanced Computing Technologies
This is a specialised programme of study of advanced computing technologies, data science and data analytics focusing on areas of expertise and research specialisation within the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems:
In addition to eight taught modules, there is a substantial practical project. Students who complete this programme will have gained strong practical and theoretical knowledge of the above areas which they will be able to use in
The programme has been designed to meet the needs of both full-time students wishing to advance their knowledge of advanced computing technologies before embarking on a career in IT or on a research degree, and part-time students already working in the IT sector. The programme has a significant research element as many of the modules include study and discussion of recent research advances.
Flexible pathways enable you to choose whether to follow 4 or 8 modules, and the period of study which can be 1 or 2 years.
Complete 4 modules to be awarded:
- Postgraduate Certificate Advanced Computing Technologies.
Complete 8 modules to be awarded:
- Postgraduate Diploma Advanced Computing Technologies.
Complete 8 modules and a project to be awarded:
- MSc Advanced Computing Technologies.
Choose your modules and project within a specialised area to be awarded:
- MSc Data Analytics
- MSc Information and Web Technologies
- MSc Intelligent Technologies
For more information about these specialised areas see Pathways
Up to four days a week full-time, up to three evenings a week part-time, October-September.
All dates and timetables are listed in the programme handbook.
- When you're looking to find the right place to study, some things really matter. For Birkbeck students, it's our reputation and the quality of our teaching
- The programme starts in October each year. To have the best chance of being accepted onto the programme send your application before the end of June. Applications received after then will be processed provided that the course is not already fully subscribed.
- Your application will be processed by the College Registry and we will be in touch to tell you what to do next.
Modules cover state-of-the-art techniques including:
- the management and analysis of 'big data'
- software development of information systems in web-based, cloud and mobile architectures including Android programming
- computational methods for intelligent information management and analysis
Several modules include guest lectures delivered by academic and industry experts.
Lecturer(s): Alexandra Poulovassilis
Lecturer(s): Tingting Han
Lecturer(s): Dell Zhang
Lecturer(s): Keith Mannock
Lecturer(s): Nigel Martin
Lecturer(s): David Weston
Lecturer(s): George Magoulas
Lecturer(s): Peter Wood
Lecturer(s): George Magoulas
Lecturer(s): George Roussos
Lecturer(s): Mark Levene
Lecturer(s): Michael Zakharyaschev
Lecturer(s): Keith Mannock, external speakers