The concept of Enterprise Middleware, a layer of software which lies between application-specific software and operating system(s) in a server environment, is introduced. In its more advanced forms, Middleware provides a complete virtual environment for applications, eliminating the need for these applications to access the operating system directly. The area of "Cloud Computing" and its relationship to Middleware is also discussed in this module.
The module employs a blended learning approach to presenting the materials which means that not all the sessions will be lectures; some will be lab-only, some will be a mixture of lab and lecture, and some will be devoted to self-study. To this end the module utilises videos, tutorials, worksheets, and online question-answer scenarios to develop the topics.
After completing this course, students should have an awareness of:
The module covers the following topics first addressed in the Software Engineering II module:
- Real-time Software Engineering
- Distributed Software Engineering
- Component-based Software Engineering
- Service-oriented Software Engineering
- Introduction to Enterprise Computing
- Enterprise Computing in the real world (Case Study)
- Message-Oriented Middleware
- Microservices and Containers
- The .NET model for distributed computing
- Java approaches to n-tier architectures (JEE, Spring, etc.)
- Persistence layers
- User Interfaces
- Web Services
- Virtualisation and Cloud Computing
- Software and Programming I
All dates and timetables are listed in the programme handbooks of individual programmes.
Consists of essay and programming based assignmenta (at present using Node.js for the programming part).
One two-hour examination (75%) plus course work component (25%).
- Introduction to Middleware: Web Services, Object Components, and Cloud Computing by Letha Hughes Etzkorn. Chapman and Hall/CRC. 2017. ISBN 9781498754071
- Getting MEAN with Mongo, Express, Angular, and Node, Second Edition by Simon D. Holmes. Manning Publications. 2017. ISBN 9781617294754
- Learn Serverless by Philipp Müns. Available via Gumroad
- Operating Systems and Middleware by Max Hailperin. Course Technology Inc. 2007. ISBN: 978-0534423698