Foundations of Data Science I
This module covers fundamental aspects of data science and analytics. Students develop the basic mathematical knowledge and skills needed for further studies in the BSc Data Science programme, and needed by data scientists/analysts in general. These include basic elements of linear algebra, preliminaries for calculus, as well as discrete probability theory and fundamentals of statistics. The module will show you how to use the popular and powerful language Python to solve computational tasks from these mathematical subjects. In particular, this module will get you acquainted with popular Python libraries and packages for programming to solve problems arising from linear algebra, probability theory and statistics.
On successful completion of this module, you will:
- Demonstrate satisfactory knowledge of basic linear algebra and matrix theory.
- Demonstrate satisfactory knowledge of basic discrete probability theory and statistics.
- Demonstrate satisfactory knowledge of relevant Python libraries and packages.
- Demonstrate satisfactory skills of programming in Python to solve computational tasks from linear algebra and discrete probability theory.
- Understand the link between the basic knowledge acquired from the module and data science/analytics applications.
All dates and timetables are listed in programme handbooks, found in the downloads section of individual programme pages.
- Timetable of all departmental teaching events
- Term dates
- Timetable for the week ahead (including venue information)
Enrolled students can find their personal teaching timetable and location of classes on their My Birkbeck profile.
Coursework (20%) One two hour written examination (80%).