IT Tools and Techniques
This module teaches a range of software productivity tools, including document authoring tools, data presentation and calculation tools, tools, presentation tools and graphics creation tools. It explores the use of these tools in work and educational environments. It provides extensive hand-on practice with the tools with the aim of bringing students to an advanced user level.
Students entering study at level three often do not have the required level of basic IT skills to successfully complete further study at levels 4, 5 and 6. This module aims to develop foundation year students’ IT skills to a level that enables them to work effectively at more advanced levels of study.
On successful completion of this module a student will be expected to be able to:
- Explain the role of IT tools in a workplace and educational context.
- Demonstrate awareness of currently available open source and proprietary productivity tools.
- Use document authoring tools to effectively perform a range of work and study tasks
- Use presentation tools to create advanced level presentations.
- Use spreadsheets to display data and make calculations.
- Use graphics creation tools to create effective graphics.
- IT Tools in the Workplace and in Higher Education
- Open source versus Proprietary IT Tools.
- Document Authoring Tools and Techniques
- Presentation Creation Tools and Techniques
- Data Presentation using Spreadsheets
- Graphics Creation Tools and Techniques
- Integrating Data and Graphics into Presentations and Documents.
Two practical IT tasks.
60% Class test