This module will enhance your knowledge of the theories underlying team work. It will introduce frameworks to help you understand the characteristics of effective teams. It will detail the stages of team development, and the different roles team members typically play when working in teams. It will also explore what it takes to create high performing and adaptive teams. This will include an in depth exploration of groupware technology. The module will also build your practical skills and abilities as a team player. It will teach you how to build a high-functioning team, how to optimise team performance, and how to effectively deal with team conflict when it arises.
- To provide students with an opportunity to acquire theoretical and empirical knowledge underlying teamwork.
- To build appreciation of how team processes impact organisational performance.
- To develop enhanced teamwork and communication skills.
- To explore the digital technologies used to facilitate teamwork.
On successful completion of this module a student will be expected to be able to:
- Understand the role and importance of teams in organisations
- Define the key characteristics of effective teams
- Explain the team development lifecycle
- Recognise the key interpersonal skills needed to work in and manage teams
- Identify the social and psychological issues implicit in team development and interaction
- Understand the digital technologies used to facilitate teamwork.
- Be able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Be able to evaluate team performance and optimise as appropriate.
- Be able to manage conflict in teams.
- Team formation
- Team development models
- Optimising team performance
- Dealing with conflict
- Planning and managing teamwork
- Text based groupware tools
- Video and audio based groupware tools
Assignment 1: 30%
Assignment 2: 70%
All assigments will be completed as part of a team.
Cook, S 2009. Building a High-Performance Team. IT Governance. Cambridge, UK.
Parker, G. 2008. Team Players and Teamwork: New Strategies for Developing Successful Collaboration. Jossey Bass.
Lepsinger, R & DeRosa, D. 2010. Virtual Team Success: A PracticalGuide for Working and Leading from a Distance. Jossey Bass.
Settle Murphy, N (2012). Leading Effective Virtual Teams: Overcoming Time and Distance to Achieve Exceptional Results. CRC Press.