Web Data with XML, JSON and AJAX
This module explores the role of XML, JSON and Ajax in the development of web applications. It looks at the uses and relative merits of each of the three technologies, showing how they can be effectively used to facilitate data exchange between clients and servers, and between heterogeneous applications.
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Create well-structured XML.
- Validate XML using the DTD and XML Schema Definition approaches.
- Display XML as HTML, using XSD.
- Create well-structured JSON data.
- Validate JSON data using JSON Schema.
- Display JSON data as HTML.
- Fetch and display live data using Ajax.
- Display RSS feed data and API data using Ajax.
- Create small-scale web applications using JSON and Ajax.
- Introduction to Web Authoring
All dates and timetables are listed in programme handbooks, found in the downloads section of individual programme pages.
- Timetable of all departmental teaching events
- Term dates
- Timetable for the week ahead (including venue information)
Enrolled students can find their personal teaching timetable and location of classes on their My Birkbeck profile.