Wireless and Mobile Computing
Students taking this module will:
- study the novel aspects of mobile, ubiquitous and pervasive computing systems
- study the principles, research problems and applications of the Internet of Things
- acquire a range of design skills for software development in Android
- acquire systems development experience with mobile and ubiquitous computing technologies
- help students develop self-study skills so that they can keep up with the rapidly changing technologies, tools and techniques in the area
- Wireless and mobile networks
- Routing and mobility aspects of IP networks
- Smartphone components
- Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) and the IoT
- Processing sensor streams
- Location sensing technologies
- Privacy in mobile location sensing systems
- Programming with Android
- ARM University IoT Workshop using mbed.org
Prerequisites: Students must have passed Software and Programming I, Software and Programming II and Computer Networks. It is desirable that students have attended the Computer Security module or are atttending in parallel.
All dates and timetables are listed in programme handbooks, found in the downloads section of individual programme pages.
- Timetable of all departmental teaching events
- Term dates
- Timetable for the week ahead (including venue information)
Enrolled students can find their personal teaching timetable and location of classes on their My Birkbeck profile.
By 2-hour written examination and by practical project. The written examination will have a weighting of 75% and the project a weighting of 25% of the final mark.
- Jochen Schiller, Mobile Communications (2nd Edition), Addison Wesley, 2003.
- George Roussos, Networked RFID: Systems, Software and Services, Springer, 2008.
- A. La Marca and E. de Lara, Location Systems: An Introduction to the Technology Behind Location: An Introduction to the Technology Behind Location Awareness, Morgan and Claypool, 2008.
- Bill Phillips, Chris Stewart, Brian Hardy and Kristin Marsicano, Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (2nd Edition), Big Nerd Ranch Guides, 2015.