Obtaining personal data from our website visitors
- Birkbeck takes its responsibilities regarding the protection of personal privacy very seriously. As such, you can rest assured that any personal data you may be asked to reveal in order to use some of the features that are or will become available on any of Birkbeck's web sites will be held and processed in accordance with the requirements of the 1998 Data Protection Act.
- In each case where you may be invited to submit personal data, such as an email or postal address or a telephone number, you should find a clear statement of:
- what data will be held
- the purposes for which the data will be held
- a contact name, email address or telephone number to use should you wish to check or amend the data held, or request the deletion of that data
- whether any of the data will be disclosed to any third party and, if so, to whom
- If, after reading such a statement, you choose to submit any personal data, you are thereby giving your consent for that data to be held and processed for the stated purpose or purposes.
- If you find that such information is not available, or if you feel that it is unclear or inadequate, please contact the appropriate author (if given), or email the Web Editor.
Disclosing personal data about our staff or students
- As an employer, Birkbeck also takes its responsibilities regarding the protection of the personal privacy of its staff seriously. Personal contact details for staff members are only made available via our public web sites if consent has been given for such a disclosure. If you should email the College to ask for a particular individual's contact details that have not been made available on the web site, your message will be forwarded to the staff member concerned, who will then decide whether to respond or not.
- Staff biographical details or other personal data may be found on some web pages on our sites, where the staff concerned have given their consent for such information to be made publicly available. However, publication in this way does not mean that such data have been placed into the public domain. The authors retain control and copyright of such data, and the data must not be reproduced or further processed without the authors' express permission.
- It is not our policy to reveal any personal details of students enrolled at Birkbeck. However, some research students may have consented to contact details or other personal data being made available via our public web sites. It may also be the case that students enrolled on certain courses may be producing web-based material containing personal data as part of their course work. In such cases, responsibility for such disclosures rests entirely with the individual students concerned and is not indicative of any College-wide policy.
If you have any questions regarding the data protection statements found on this page please email the Web Editor.