Algorithms, Verification and Software Research Group
The AVS research group addresses the efficiency of computation, including theory, design and implementation, with several foci: foundations of algorithms and computational complexity, algorithm design, and analysis and verification of systems and software.
Since REF2014, we have published 65+ journal and 85+ conference papers, including in ACM TAGL (1 paper), JCSS(4), IEEE TSE(2), ACM TOCT(3), FOCS(3), SODA(1), STACS(2), ICALP(4), POPL(2), ICSE(2), LICS(2), IJCAR(3), TACAS(3), CONCUR(3).
We do not shy away from notorious open problems, such as reconstructing graph properties from subsets of vertex-deleted subgraphs (Fenner); inference of worst-case runtime complexity bounds and size bounds for programs on integers; satisfiability for separation logic with inductive definitions (Fuhs); the Matroid variation of the famous Secretary Problem; and lower bounds for relaxed locally decodable codes (Lachish). Other ground-breaking advances have been made in propositional knowledge representation and order theory (Razgon); and algorithmic techniques for sparse graph classes (Reidl). Fundamental advances have been made in automated termination analysis of higher-order programs (Fuhs); theory and verification algorithms for fuzzy systems (Han); automated approaches to improve the quality of API documentation (T.Chen); and algorithmic approaches to learning neural architecture hyperparameters and ensembles (Magoulas).
- Lecturer Research areas: Combinatorics on words, bioinformatics, probabilistic algorithms, data mining
- Professor of Computer Science Research areas: Algorithms and data structures, combinatorial algorithms, probabilistic algorithms, complex networks
- Senior Lecturer, Undergraduate Admissions Tutor Research areas: Automated program analysis and verification (termination, time complexity bounds, safety, equivalence), term rewriting, SAT and SMT solving (more generally, constraint solving), separation logic
- Senior Lecturer, Programme Director - IT Applications Short Courses, Athena SWAN Coordinator Research areas: Formal verification and synthesis of probabilistic systems, and its applications
- Senior Lecturer, Research Admissions Tutor, Programme Director - MRes Computer Science Research areas: Algorithms and complexity, computation with extremely limited resources
- Professor of Computer Science, Director of Birkbeck Knowledge Lab, Director of Teaching and Learning Quality Research areas: Computational models of learning and cognition, artificial neural networks and deep learning, evolutionary computing, learning technologies, bio-inspired machine learning, software engineering for AI and machine learning systems.
- Lecturer, Library Representative Research areas: Software Engineering, Polyglot programming languages, Image manipulation and retrieval, Distributed Systems, Educational Gaming, Machine Learning
- Senior Lecturer, Programme Director - MSc Advanced Computing Technologies Research areas: Fixed parameter algorithms, graph theory, constraint satisfaction problems
- Senior Lecturer, Ethics Officer, Programme Director - BSc Data Science and Computing Research areas: Algorithmic graph theory, random graph models of complex networks, structural sparsity, parameterized complexity