To learn the basics of computer architecture and organisation, and the role and mechanism of operating systems.
- Introduction: Computer architecture (CA) and Operating system (OS) overview
- Processes and threads
- Memory management
- I/O and file systems
- Protection and security
- Distributed and parallel processing
Two sets of problems relating to the computer architecture and the oprating systems content of the module.
By 2-hour written examination and coursework exercises, weighting 90% and 10% respectively.
- Textbook: W. Stallings, Operating Systems, Internals and Design Principles, Prentice Hall, 5th edition, 2005, or 6th edition, 2008
- W. Stallings, Computer Organization and Architecture: Designing for Performance, Prentice Hall, 7th edition, 2006
- A.S. Tanenbaum, Modern Operating Systems, Prentice Hall, 2nd edition 2001, or 3rd edition, 2008